Yesterday BC’s Provincial Health Officer (PHO) ordered new province-wide restrictions to reduce the transmission of COVID-19. Some of these restrictions previously applied to the Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Regions only. As of November 19, 2020, they apply to the entire province. Below is a summary.
Masks are required in all indoor public settings and workplaces
- This applies to common areas where people circulate freely, such as hallways, stairwells, elevators, etc. but not to restricted areas such as enclosed office spaces where physical distancing can be maintained.
- The mask requirement does not apply to people unable to wear a mask or put on or remove a mask on their own.
- No gatherings of any size with anyone other than your household or core bubble. This applies to both indoor and outdoor spaces.
- A person who lives alone may have up to two other people visit if they are people with whom the person regularly interacts.
All events and gatherings as defined in the PHO Gatherings and Events Order are suspended until further notice.
- This does not apply to educational activities offered by post-secondary institutions to deliver and/or support student learning and development.
- Please see page 15 of the COVID-19 Go-Forward Guidelines for BC’s Post-Secondary Sector for more information on educational activities.
- Events such as convocation ceremonies are not considered educational activities.
- Please review the Athletic Activities section of the new province-wide restrictions.
- The following high-risk indoor group physical activities must be suspended:
° Spin classes
° Hot yoga
° High-intensity interval training
- Gyms and recreation facilities that offer individual workouts and personal training sessions can remain open as long as they have a COVID-19 Safety Plan that is strictly followed.
- Games, competitions and practices can continue with no spectators and no travel.
- All non-essential travel should be avoided. This includes travel into and out of B.C. and between regions of the province.
- Essential travel within BC includes:
° Regular travel for work within your region
° Travel for medical appointments and hospital visits
Thank you for the important role you play in supporting the provincial COVID-19 response. Please share this update broadly within your respective institutions.
- Guidelines for BC’s post-secondary sector are hosted on the Ministry’s public website.
- Guidance and recommendations from the Provincial Health Officer are available online at the COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information website.
- If you require advice regarding a potential COVID-19 case, please contact your local Medical Health Officer.