Students will be introduced to the pivotal role social service workers and associated support professionals play in improving the social welfare of individual people and communities. This course will familiarize students to the various roles, functions, tasks, and responsibilities social workers assume in a variety of settings and introduce them to the key skills and practices of the profession.
Book an Appointment with Us Today!
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Provide a history of social service work in Canada.
- Define the roles and function of community-based social work practice.
- Describe the effect of the person, agency, and society on the social work process.
- Identify the key social work values, knowledge, principles and skills within an ethical framework as described by the CASW Code of Ethics.
- Describe the role of relationship building and maintenance in practice with individuals, families and communities.
- Identify the phases of practice with individuals, families, and communities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the factors related to populations at risk.
- Describe the inequities in the healthcare delivery and social workers’ roles in addressing the inequalities.
- Students must complete an intake with recruitment team.
- Throughout the year
- Student will be assessed by daily attendance, assignments, and completion of in class activities.
To successfully complete this course, students must:
- Pass the final exam
- Attend a minimum of 80% of the scheduled classes
- Achieve a minimum overall score of 50%
- Assignments, participation, attendance and exams.
Social work in the province
Practice and empowerment
Values and ethics
Social welfare policy and procedure
Individuals, family, communities
Social work in healthcare
Continuation: Social work in healthcare
Social work with people with disabilities
Social work and substance abuse
Continuation: Social work and substance abuse
Final Exam and wrap up
Course sequencing may vary
8 Weeks / 48 Hours
Online| On-campus| Combined